Friday, November 18, 2011

Weekly Blog #9


While I have been stating my argument essentially as, “new bias is necessary,” I am thinking that rephrasing this to, “news bias is inevitable,” better parallels the angle I am going to take with this topic. Under the umbrella topic on news bias, I am exploring two categories: content bias (elemental factors designed to inhibit the “raw” truth) and ideological bias (personal political and conceptual views). 
There are four content biases (personalization, dramatization, fragmentation, and authority-disorder), which all seem to reject the notion of political and social discussion.  But, does the lack of discussion haphazardly and vicariously promote more active citizens, who do not need to look to others to for cues to be proactive in the country’s politics? Or, does this biasedly formatted content mirror the country’s rapidly advancing and morphing society? 
The most commonly thought about news bias is ideological bias and stations like FOX News and MSNBC appear to be the most notable ideologically biased new sources.  But can’t the claim be made that having a news source with a “centered” view is just as ideologically biased as “left” and “right” biased sources? And even if there were such a news source that purely delivered raw facts, would that hold public attention or again, would the pace of the country’s rapidly changing society cause viewers to grow bored and uninterested in news portrayal that didn’t cause someone to feel that they were getting the short end of the stick? 
As for sources, I have looked through articles from Communications databases that simply define the different realms of news bias.  However, the studies done in these articles are not really aligning with my argument (therefore, I have to do a lot of extrapolation).  Also, since I can’t use one of the clips from my Communications paper (the Anderson Cooper 360 clip) I am not sure how to find another spot-on video clip or even how a video clip would specifically fit into my paper at this point, since I am looking less at pointing out specific examples of biased news and looking more at biased news as a whole.





No comments:

Post a Comment